Thursday, April 24, 2014

Conflict is inevitable?

Yesterday I was privileged to host a Taste of TEC event as I continue work to build and launch my CEO Forum here in Edmonton.  One of the perks of this particular event is that we were able to coordinate with other TEC Canada CEO Forums in the area and get access to a guest speaker. 

The subject area for our guest speaker was "Secrets to Successful Conflict Resolution".  Without a doubt conflict - in all its forms - is a common challenge in any business and at any stage of a leader's career.  My intent is not to summarize the speaker's presentation.  Rather, I wanted to identify a few key points that really resonated for me personally.

First, despite our best efforts and intentions, I really do believe that conflict in any organization is inevitable.  Whenever two or more people come together in pursuit of some common goal - marriage included! - there are bound to be friction points, differences of opinion, and misinterpretations of actions or intent.  Ignoring that reality will definitely not make the "situation" go away.  In fact, in almost all cases, ignoring the reality of conflict only makes the situation worse and more difficult to resolve later (with a lot more pain and suffering).  On more than one occasion I have been quite astounded to hear managers and leaders identify for themselves and others that they don't like conflict.  I'm not sure at that point if they really every truly understood what it was to take on their role!  Quite frankly, without conflict there would be a lot less demand for managers and leaders. 

Second, it struck me that so much conflict can start off with seemingly superficial roots and much of that relates back to a failure in basic communication.  In my coaching practice one of the fundamental tenets and beliefs is that everyone yearns to be heard.  Just needs to be heard.  That perspective also builds off of my experience in 25 years of health care management.  I don't have the stats at hand, but in the vast majority of complaints that patients or families had with their experience at my hospitals, long-term care facilities, or with any other health care service most of their presenting issue didn't truly relate to the quality of their care, but rather with the quality of their interaction - communication - with staff.  They didn't feel respected, understood, valued - they didn't feel heard.

Third, when it comes to conflict there is no time like the present.  As I noted before, too many managers and leaders want to avoid conflict.  They don't like it, it causes them grief, and overall they may see it as a waste of time and energy.  However, conflict seems to obey a perverse "pay-it-forward" mentality.  If you don't take the time to deal with me now I'm going to come back in spades to you later.  Rather than thinking of time spent up-front in communicating with and hearing from your stakeholders as a waste of time, think of that time spent as an investment or a point of leverage.  If you don't take the time now it's going to take a whole lot more effort - and time - to recover and repair relationships in service of the results you want later on.

Finally, in conflict, don't rush to judgement.  As leaders we often feel compelled to have all the answers at our fingertips the moment a situation is brought to our attention.  We can sometimes act as every issue and decision was ours to make and that to be true leaders we had better be able to size up and respond with a solution in the next five minutes.  However, unless someone has just pulled the fire alarm or you can see the out-of-control truck about to barrel through your front door, you probably have more time at your disposal to make an informed assessment and decision.  Pause.  Investigate.  Challenge assumptions and perceptions.  Get clarity.  Ask questions.  Ask some more questions.  Don't fall prey to the delusion that every issue is yours to own as a leader or everything requires your immediate attention.  You might just be solving the wrong problem, adding fuel to the fire of an existing conflict, or starting a new fire.

So yes, it is my belief that conflict is inevitable.  As leaders though we have the ability to manage and even constructively use conflict to our benefit if we consciously use the tools at our disposal.  Conflict and conflict management is part of leadership.
______________________________

Greg Hadubiak, MHSA, FACHE, CEC, PCC
TEC Canada Chair/Executive Coach/Senior Consultant
hadubiak@wmc.ca

Helping leaders realize their strengths and enabling organizations to achieve their potential through the application of my leadership experience and coaching skills. I act as a point of leverage for my clients. I AM their Force Multiplier.

1 comment:

  1. Once again - awesome insight. I am guilty of avoiding conflict because I'm a "pleaser", I want to make everyone happy even though rationally I know that this is not possible. I guess I just do not have the right tools to deal with conflict.

    ReplyDelete