Monday, June 30, 2014

Failure is an option

In the past two years as I've continued the transition from senior executive leader to executive coach/consultant I've been struck by how many of my colleagues have commented on their perception of my successful reinvention.  On many occasions I've been asked for the secret formula to help others achieve their goals and objectives.  In truth, it's hard to imagine that over two years have passed since I first left behind my 25-year career in health care.  A lot has happened since then and while there has been success there has also been failure - and fear of failure - along the way.  In fact, I believe I have learned more about myself as a result of my setbacks then I have from my moments of achievement.

Sitting down to pen this blog entry, I actually decided to focus in on an initiative that I have been actively engaged in for about a year now.  Taking stock of my current status and efforts to date in this year-long process could readily bring me to the conclusion that I am actively failing in this particular aspect of my practice.  Truth be told, it may only be a matter of time before I or someone else determines that the investment of time and effort is no longer worth it.


So what have I learned from this laborious journey?  In no particular order, here are my lessons that I hope resonate with you and that may help you appreciate that failure can be an option in establishing the basis for ultimate success:

One:  Anything worth doing will take effort, time, and sacrifice.  If it were easy then everybody would be doing it.  If I've picked up anything from the time and effort I've invested in this particular venture it is that success is by no means guaranteed and just when you think that you've turned the corner or have the commitment of others to your cause...well, don't count your chickens before they are hatched.  These setbacks have to be used to your advantage - take a hard look at whether you evaluated the situation correctly, hone your tactics, and try again.

Two:  Act Fast and Act Smart.  Somewhat contradictory, but the fear of failure and rejection held me back when I first started down the path for this particular initiative.  It pushed me out of my comfort zone where by nature I'm quite the introvert.  Templates did exist to support action and my take away from the past year is to simply face one's fears and fail faster.  By failing I've been able to adjust my methods to better suit me and my clients.

Three:  Don't become paralyzed.  As a corollary to point Two above, I've come to the conclusion that is better to move and fail then to sit in fear of movement and potential failure.  From an executive coach standpoint its interesting for me to note that this is often the perspective that I'm working with my clients on.  If you don't apply for the job you are guaranteed not to get it.  If you don't take the risk you are guaranteed not to succeed.   What is the true risk of failure versus the true risk of not trying at all?

Four:  It's not all about you.  Or your product. Just because you have something to offer which you really believe in, see as meeting a major need in your market, or simply believe can't miss still doesn't mean that you don't have a whole lot of leg work to do.  In may case, it probably took me several months at the beginning of this particular initiative to "buy-in" so why did I expect it would be any different for my prospective clients?

Five:  Be prepared to change.  Being stubborn and failing to adjust your methods or tactics in the face of setbacks is nonsensical.    As Albert Einstein is quoted as saying, the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.  If the end goal is important - and it is to me - be open to advice and your own learning to try something different that will change the quality and speed of our your outcome.

Six:  No isn't the end.  Perhaps too many of us - and certainly myself - strive to be perfectly successful all of the time.  A "NO" is often accorded weight out of all proportion to the "YES" we get.  No can mean any number of things from "not right now" to "it's the wrong fit".  And sometimes getting those No's can be quite beneficial to the quality of our initiative in the long-term.  Put your NO's in proper context.

Seven:  Work with the right supports.  In the past year I can clearly identify those that have been hugely positive and constructive supports on my journey.  These individuals have not just been cheerleaders.  On the contrary.  In many circumstances they have been a necessary catalyst to positive and forceful action on my part.  To put it less euphemistically they have kicked my ass when I needed it.  In contrast, I can just as easily identify those that have either been actively working against me or have been providing less than constructive ideas along the way.  In some cases, this is despite us ostensibly being on the same "team".  Nothing worth doing can be done alone or in the absence of the right team in your corner.

Eight:  Doing everything perfectly may not yield your desired result.  I love the Captain Picard quote in this image.  It brings us back to reality and helps us appreciate that a variety of circumstances - and even luck - may confound our best efforts and a perfectly executed plan.  Your choice at this point is to assess, analyze, learn and apply the lessons to the next opportunity.

Overall, even if I finally and officially "fail" in my particular endeavor I know that I have come away with a lot more tools at my disposal than when I started.  The experience, abilities, insights and skills obtained have already benefited me personally and professionally.  I have built up new networks, pushed myself out of my comfort zone (with more work to do), and ultimately I bring greater value to my colleagues and clients into the future.  When approached with maturity and patience with self, our failures can be far more instructive than our successes ever can be.

Failure is an option if you can learn, adapt, persist and grow.  Leadership isn't just about an unending string of successes.  Leadership is about breaking new ground.  Failing at the endeavour might be overwhelming and a bit frightening but that's what leadership is all about.
______________________________

Greg Hadubiak, MHSA, FACHE, CEC, PCC
TEC Canada Chair/Executive Coach/Senior Consultant
hadubiak@wmc.ca

Helping leaders realize their strengths and enabling organizations to achieve their potential through the application of my leadership experience and coaching skills. I act as a point of leverage for my clients. I AM their Force Multiplier.






1 comment:

  1. Great article, when we choose personal and professional growth as a path, there will be challenges, but also great moments! Much more exciting than allowing fear to hold us back from new possibilities.

    ReplyDelete