Sunday, December 14, 2014

A Recipe for Success?

This past week I was honored to have been asked to be the inaugural guest on a colleague's radio talk show.  Rachel Foster (http://www.rachelfoster.com/) and I have known each for many years now, starting with our work together in health care.  In fact, Rachel was one of my inspirations for moving down the path of becoming an executive coach.  The topic she choose to address and asked me to comment on as a guest was entitled "Mastering the Art of Your Business Success" and as with many things that happen to me in the course of my work life it now serves as an inspiration for a blog post.

There were a number of key ideas we touched on within this omnibus heading and quite frankly I'm sure we were both wishing that we had far more than an hour to converse, explore and share our thoughts - key influences in our lives, challenges overcome and vision for the future.  Each one of these may themselves serve as inspiration for future writing, but for today I'm going to address the question of what wisdom or lessons I believe I have discovered for that might be informative to others as they look to master their business and/or professional success.

Of course, the key proviso here is that I'm entirely reflecting on my past history and experience.  So the points that follow are based on a sample size of one through a particular path of development that is unique to me.  Moreover hindsight is 20/20 so while I can extract what I see as kernels of truth now, after 25+ years of experience, it's not like I had these answers in front of me as I progressed through my career.  More than likely, even if I did have these answers provided to me, I might still have had to learn the hard way!  Human's are a stubborn lot!  So here is my assessment of what I believe has helped me be successful over my health care and now executive coach/consulting career.

First, I have always had and still have this sense of incompletion, of not actually being successful.  Now for others on the outside looking in, holding several high level executive roles in highly complex organizations and then re-establishing myself in a new career in the past several years starts to look like success.  However, I've so far not achieved a level of comfort that I envision might characterize someone who "has arrived".  So I see that as helping me maintain my edge and continuing to drive forward on to the next set of goals and targets.  And there is always the next hill to climb and something new to create.  Rule #1 then is to stay hungry, never become complacent or take current success for granted.

Second, I truly believe that a huge factor in my success has been the desire and willingness to listen and learn from others.  In fact, at one point in my health care career I provided that very answer to one of my subordinates when they asked how I achieved CEO level positions without having a clinical degree or background.  The traditional route to senior level roles in my experience, and my colleague's, was that one either had to be clinically trained and experienced (e.g., doctor, nurse) or advance up through the finance/accounting professions.  I have neither.  But I did listen to others.  I did intently focus on and learn from what others said (or didn't say) or do.  I believe I learned immensely from their successes, challenges and insights.  Rule #2 - have the humility to learn from all around you and you will not only be personally successful but others around will respect your honest interest in them.

Third, understand yourself first and foremost.  Put some real time and energy into developing and articulating your personal leadership mission, vision, values and how you want to show up as a leader every day.  I started down this particular path of a written leadership "map" for myself influenced by Stephen Covey's "The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People" and by an opportunity to attend a workshop hosted by Jim Kouzes of "The Leadership Challenge" fame.  Both authors provided me with frameworks and ideas that I have continued to put into practice ever since - most importantly of documenting (in writing) my leadership commitments and revisiting those on a regular basis.  Rule #3 - know thyself and be introspective.

Fourth, and something that I have only come to appreciate in the past couple of years, is to dream big.  I have been very fortunate to have come into contact with so many amazing, positive and adventurous people, business owners and leaders particularly since I have started my own entrepreneurial venture.  Primarily through my TEC Canada Chair role and Executive Coach practice, I have had the privilege of meeting several people with BIG dreams.  They have been of inspiration to me and have helped me to re-imagine the possibilities for my own business venture.  Rule #4 - think big and surround yourself with inspiring and action-oriented people!

Fifth, never stop learning.  Since hitting my academic stride in the latter half of my undergrad degree, I have always been enamored by the learning opportunities afforded to me. Those learning opportunities are not just formal educational ventures either.  Rather there is much to be learned in just day-to-day life and living and travels to other parts of the world.  The key for me has been having an insatiable hunger for seeing how others live and lead, how they advance themselves, and being open to the lessons to be gained from the broader world.  Rule #5 - learn continuously and forever.  It's not only necessary in today's highly dynamic environment, it's also a damn lot of fun.

Finally, and a lesson that continues to reinforce itself to me frequently, is to make sure you take care of yourself.  It's definitely not just about your business or your executive position.  Your health, your relationships and how you make your money has to be aligned with the entirety of your life.  Do stop and smell the roses, train for and compete in an Ironman, attend your 4-year old's playschool Christmas pageant on a Friday afternoon, play PlayStation with your 14-year old, and drink a glass of wine in the evening with your spouse.  There is never going to be enough time in your business to get everything done, the work will be there again tomorrow, and the e-mails will continue to pile up.  It's inevitable, infuriating, and daunting.  But unless you live life, make time for yourself and those important to you, truly what is the point.  Enjoy the journey and live without regrets.  Rule #6 - live life with purpose, on purpose.

______________________________

Greg Hadubiak, MHSA, FACHE, CEC, PCC
TEC Canada Chair/Executive Coach/Senior Consultant
hadubiak@wmc.ca

Helping leaders realize their strengths and enabling organizations to achieve their potential through the application of my leadership experience and coaching skills. I act as a point of leverage for my clients. I AM their Force Multiplier.

No comments:

Post a Comment